Sunday, April 09, 2006

Colorado-Columbus musings

Colorado 3 : Columbus 1

After months of counting down the days until the '06 season, my job-related and academic obligations sadly forced me to miss opening day. Though, from what I've read, I didn't miss much from Columbus.

I did, however, have the opportunity to watch Colorado stomp on Columbus yesterday. After Columbus's exhilirating goal in the first half, their defense and offense completely fell apart. As a Columbus fan, the game was rather painful to watch. I kept having flashbacks to the USMNT's performance in France '98, with a defense that you could pour water through, and an offense that can't seem to set up good shots. Still, it seems terribly disrespectful to Sigi to compare him to Sampson. I had (have) to keep reminding myself that Sigi probably needs at least a few more weeks to get the Crew's act together, figure out works, and patch up those holes in the defense. Hopefully that will happen sometime before, say, the playoffs.

As for Colorado, they had some pretty good shots, and, moreover, they finished them well (Columbus should take some lessons here). Other than the Columbus goal in the first half, Cannon and his defense did a pretty good job shutting down the Crew's chances. It will be interesting to see how Cannon will hold up this year; I was relatively impressed with his performance (I just wish he would have screwed up at least a couple times last night).

Note: edited to fix a broken link.

No comments: