Thursday, September 30, 2004

News and View

The Clean Sheet: Forward thinking I like the opening sentence of the article: Reason No. 473 why Major League Soccer is better than politics: the presidential debate has a format where the two guys aren't even allowed to talk to each other, while Saturday night in MLS is going to be a 10-team battle royal for playoff positioning. Am I the only one who thinks that the presidential debates are nothing more than a chance for two people to lie and exaggerate on national television, while taking a momentary break from the "normal" mudslinging? I may be a supporter of democracy, but way that political races are conducted makes me both apathetic and angry at the same time. I have zero respect for a politician who participates in mudslinging. I digress. Maybe I need to start a political blog! Moving back to MLS news and views...The Crew winning the Supporters Shield? The team that lost like 17 games to start the season is going to finish with the best record in MLS? Yeah, right. Next you're gonna tell me Mount St. Helens is gonna blow. Yea for Columbus! I love surprises during the season. (That does include the times when Columbus starts out well and finishes badly, although I must say that I tend to view those times as more interesting than exciting.)

View from the Cheap Seats: East-West, West-East This article, too, has a good opening sentence: Originally, I was going to pull a Bruce Arena today and rip into everything and everyone in the U.S. soccer world. Ain't that the truth...now onto the rest of the column. Lalas, you heretic! How dare you call the Detroit Red Wings the best sports team ever; you're a soccer columnist! I don't care if you call them the best hockey team ever: just don't call them the best sports team ever.

Club America drops another MLS hint [Sarcastic] Yea, just what we need: more rumors! [/Sarcastic]

United Won't Be Alone Any More As a Columbus fan who used to have to watch the Crew play in Horseshoe Stadium (OSU's football stadium), I can certainly empathize with DC. Furthermore, as a soccer player who remembers playing an away game on a soccer field that doubled as a baseball field, whose dirt infield overlapped onto the pitch, I can really feel United's pain! (That said, it still wasn't as bad as the game played on the fairground/grass parking lot turned soccer field.)

No comments: