Tuesday, September 14, 2004

MLS News and Views

Welcome back: Fire acquire Thornton Yea! I've been a Thornton fan for quite a few years, and am therefore glad to see him back - even if he is playing for the Fire!

First XI: Barroom Brawl I love articles like this one! Here are some of my comments (you knew they were coming!):
8. I agree.
7. Bottom line here on the target: Go after soccer people, be they grown up or adolescent. Ignore the haters. Good statement. I think that MLS should target everyone, although they should concentrate most of their efforts after those who play and otherwise enjoy soccer. However, a small bit of effort should go towards those who don't like the game. You never know; they just might be "converted!" As for the statement about kids needing to see "real" soccer, I totally agree. Personally, being able to watch and study professional and international soccer really boosted both my skills and my love of the game. I grew to respect good, skillful playing; good, dedicated fans (if you don't know what I mean, watch the European leagues!); and finally, I was able to see how the soccer, at its highest level, is played, and incorporate that knowledge into my playing. Bottom line: I wholeheartedly agree that MLS should target those who play and otherwise already enjoy soccer. As for those who hate soccer, I think that those who are dedicated soccer fans are the best candidates for making soccer lovers (or, at the very least, soccer appreciators) out of those who hate the game.
2. I think that the quality of play has definitely improved over the years. Part of that is due to the abolition of those dreadful rules (e.g. the tie-breaking shootouts). However, the improved quality of play is, in my opinion, due mostly to the fact that MLS has given players a chance to play on a top level - a chance that was not as widely available in the past. If you don't believe me, look at how well the US has done in the World Cup over the decades. You would have to be pretty dense to not see the improvements.

Hartman Sets All-Time Win Mark Congrats, Hartman!

Ruiz returns, clears up confusion Sampson's policy is: Every player has to rejoin his team 24 hours after playing with their respective national team. Interesting article if you're a Galaxy fan, a Sampson doubter/hater, or a Sampson fan.

Late wins having a big impact for Fire

Could Detroit join MLS in 2006?

No comments: