Tuesday, July 13, 2004

MLSnet.com does not say what the Salt Lake announcement will be about, but rumors are rampant on the Web. Here are a few headlines:
MLS expanding to Salt Lake, possibly L.A.. Um, I have news for you. LA already has a team. It is called the Galaxy. Do you really think that MLS will want to have two teams in one city? Granted, Major League Baseball has doubled up on cities (NY and Chicago), but MLS? You have got to be kidding me! Moving on...
MLS not expanding to area yet. Apparently, there was speculation about introducing a team to northeast Ohio, which would have been great. I expect that it would have gone over well there, although it would have put me in a very tight bind, as I am a dedicated Crew fan who happened to grow up and learn how to play soccer in northeast Ohio. Oh well, I guess I will not have to come to any decisions about that any time soon.
MLS OKs Expansion Team for Salt Lake City. The only newsworthy statement in this article is the following quote: A league source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the city will become the 12th MLS team as part of its 2005 expansion. That explains all the hype (even though my first thought when I heard about the announcement was that it was an expansion - after all, it has been rumored for some time that MLS has been planning on expanding).
Believe me, there are plenty of other articles on the subject that say essentially the same thing, but I have work to do. More on the subject after the announcement is made.

No comments: