Saturday, July 31, 2004

Guess who got to watch the All-Star match, live, today!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :) (The answer, in case the exclamation marks and smiley face did not give it away, is me.) I took notes. Say it. I know you are thinking it: CrewFan is pathetic. Oh, well. After all, that is what sports writers do, and I am a sports, er, blogger! My pick to win the match was the West, mainly because the top two teams in the league are in the West. That said, as a die-hard Crew fan, I was rooting for the East. The East, in case you did not get to watch the match, won. This was one of those rare times that I was glad to be wrong! :) (Hey, if those MLSnet.com columnists can make bad picks, so can I!) I also predicted that it would be a goalfest. Thankfully, again, I was wrong! The match was surprisingly good. The East won 3-2, which is a decent score for any match. In about the 20th minute, I thought to myself, "Nobody's scored yet. I wonder if there will be any goals going into the match." Guevara (East) scored less than a minute later. A minute or two after that, he scored again, that time on a PK (penalty kick). That got me thinking - penalty kicks are abbreviated to PKs, but why aren't corner kicks abbreviated to CKs, goal kicks to GKs, etc.? Hmm, maybe I should start something. Then again, people in different areas of the world might already abbreviate them as such. Anyways, back to the game. Seeing Landon Donovan (West) playing, I thought that it is still a surprise to me that he is still in MLS. After all the attention he received in Japan/Korea '02, I thought that he would have been off to Europe the following season, but I was wrong. Poor Jeff Agoos. Every time I see him play, I think back to when he scored an own goal in the World Cup ('02, I do believe). I think that most of us have done that at one time or another, so it is sad that I think of that when I think of him. I think that is enough of my commentary for now. Maybe I will post more on the match at a later time.

No comments: