Monday, March 13, 2006

News and Views

Red Bull purchases MetroStars Red Bull New York. Well, that's yet another MLS team name change (though certainly not the first for the NY/NJ Metrostars / Metros). I wonder how long it will take for the few remaining MLS teams with their original names to change. When MLS first announced the team names back in '96 (or maybe before? can't remember), I remember thinking that names like the Crew (and their logo) and the Rapids were a bit, well, odd. I personally was glad when the Metros dropped the whole NY/NJ part; it was pretty cumbersome to say. As for the Red Bull NY name change, am I the only one who has visions of matadors (and yes, I am familiar with the Red Bull drink - that stuff makes me thing of matadors, too)? Matadors defeat bulls. Hmm, that'll give fans of the the Red Bull NY's opponents something to chant.
Q&A with MLS Commissioner Garber The Commish weighs in on the Metros' sale to Red Bull.

Ruiz rides bicycle to Goal of the Decade Not a bad choice, really. And, it was scored against DCU, not my beloved Crew - all the much better. I think it's final: I really am a sucker for bicycle kicks.

McBride extends Fulham stay

No comments: