Friday, April 16, 2004

Eric Wynalda has a new article out, and, as always, it's a good one. Actually, this one is a great one. I know I may sound like a broken record, but this year, for the first time, we have put out the product and the product is soccer. Very true. Took you long enough, MLS!!!!!!!!! Now, the game is simpler and more recognizable to the rest of the world. He has that right! Now, the important stuff: The thing is - and I know I am in the minority here - our core fans are the only ones who matter. Wynalda, you rock! :) It's refreshing to know that someone affiliated with MLS cares about those of us who have been dedicated fans since the league's inception, sticking it out through thick and thin, supporting our teams no matter how well or how badly they played, all the while cursing those accursed inventions like the regular-season shootouts. (See? They've abolished that practice, and I'm still ranting about it!) Someone not only knows we exist, but also cares about us! (Now do you see why I like his article so much?) This is a message to all of the general managers: As much as you think you've done for those core people, those are the fans who have stuck it out and they're still coming to games, and we've got to figure out a way to give something back. :) Wow, a former player rooting for the fans! That is something you don't see often! I don't agree with Wynalda's idea of buying beers for the fans (what about those of us who don't drink?), but I think it's great that he is appreciative of us. Like I said, great article! If you haven't read it yet, go read it now!

No comments: