Monday, May 15, 2006

Movie Review: Goal! The Dream Begins

Yep, it is now time for the first ever Crew Fan Movie Review (and probably one of the only ones, seeing as there seems to be a dearth of soccer movies out there). The movie: Goal! The Dream Begins. Good movie, even though there was a couple of times when I had to silently glare at the guy a couple seats down from me. (You know how at the beginning of movies, they have those announcements and commercials to turn off your cell phone? Why do people find those so difficult to comprehend?) Basically, the movie centers around Santiago, a poor immigrant kid from LA, who gets the chance to try out for Newcastle. The acting was good, the sets decent, and the soccer action believable. The plot...well, it was your typical Sports-Movie-Zero-to-Hero Plot. If that type of plot drives you nuts, you probably won't like it, but if you, like me, happen to find that sort of movie enjoyable, then you're in for a treat. It even almost made me consider, however briefly, changing my Premiership loyalties over to Newcastle. Almost, but not quite.

For those of you a bit too strapped of cash to join in the Free Beer Movement, this could be your chance, especially if you happen to live near a cheap theater (or one with a really good student discount, if you're a student). You get to see some great soccer, see that soccer players can and do make it big (in both fame and money), and hopefully gain more of an appreciation for soccer. And face it, many of us Americans will never get to travel to English to watch and experience a Premiership match, and frankly, it's simply a whole lot more fun watching the action on the big screen, than on your TV at home. Oh, and there just so happens to be on-screen appearances from several big names - Beckham and Zidane immediately come to mind, though I know I'm forgetting others.

As for anyone who might be protesting the inclusion of this movie review on an MLS-dedicated blog, I had 3 MLS "sightings" in the movie (if you've seen Goal and noticed more, please leave a comment):
1) During the beginning of the movie, one of the characters makes a comment about the LA Galaxy
2) During one of Santiago’s matches at the beginning, you can see the MLS logo on the wall of the stadium
3) I could've sworn I saw the back of a Fulham jersey that said "McBride" (ok, so this isn't strictly an MLS sighting, but he used to play for the Crew, so I say it counts).

So, was it worth my $8? I thought it was. Although it will certainly be enjoyable on DVD, the large screen and surround sound definitely made the experience more enjoyable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read your review, because the Washington Post trashed it. It definitely dragged down my excitement about the movie. Now I feel more committed to seeing it again.

Crew Fan said...

In all fairness, there are some plot twists that are a bit unrealisitic, but I fit them under the category of the typical Sports-Movie-Zero-to-Hero Plot.

Jarrett said...

At Santiago's game against the college in LA, there is a fan wearing an FC Dallas jersey in the crowd and it's shown several times.

Both McBride and Bocanegra are in the film in match against Fulham. Bocanegra is the one that is arguing with the referee after the penalty (I think he's the one that gave it up). The movie was filmed during 2004 when Fulham were playing at Loftus Road.

Crew Fan said...

Hmm, I must have missed the fan in the FCD jersey, and I hadn't noticed Bocanegra. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention when it comes out on DVD!