Saturday, January 07, 2006

Now we know

Yep, we now know why football, er, soccer, is so exciting. Check out the BBC's report on the Surprise secret to soccer appeal. The Los Alamos National Laboratory has concluded that Football is more likely to produce an unexpected result. Interesting conclusion. In my studies and research in my academic field, I have learned to carefully choose my methodology and body of data when conducting any sort of study. These researchers decided to make unpredictability - how often a leading team is overcome by an opponent with a worse record - the best measure of how exciting a league is. Although I do agree with the conclusion - yes, I think that soccer is the most exciting sport in the world, and that is due in part, but only in part, to its unpredicatibility. I also enjoy the creativity, beauty, and intensity of the game. You probably have your own reasons for liking the game. My point is this: this study certainly is interesting, but take it for what it is: a very one-sided study that fails to address other issues. (I realize that they probably cannot analyze all possible options, however, my point is that the casual observer ought to be discerning about the methodology used in any study, including this one, as trivial as it may seem.)

Note: this post has been edited for grammar.

No comments: