Saturday, January 07, 2006

My wishlist for 2006

1) I wish for the USA men to win the World Cup, or, at the very least, make it into the the top 4. They made it into the top 8 four years ago, and they're sitting pretty nicely at number 8 in the current FIFA world rankings, even ahead of powerhouses like England (9), Italy (12), and Germany (16). Go USA!

2) If number 1 doesn't come true, I at least want a country that has never won the World Cup to win. Yes, Brazil is good and it is exciting to see them win, but, well, they've had their day. Besides, who doesn't like the underdog? I think it's about time for some changes.

3) I wish for Columbus to win the MLS Cup. I've stopped bothering to count how many times they've come close.

4) While I'm at it, how about some good deals between MLS, major networks, and advertisers? It's time for MLS to gain more publicity in the USA.

5) What happened to the hype over WUSA? If the US wants to keep up with the rest of the world, they need a women's league. I find it ironic that the USA, who were among the first countries to have a solid women's team, now no longer has a league. (Yes, I know why the WUSA failed; you don't need to remind me. However, this is my wishlist. I can dream, can't I?)

No comments: