Tuesday, May 31, 2005

News and Views

And now for the news that we have been expecting to hear: Chivas USA coach Rongen reassigned as sports director
Thomas Rongen was relieved of his coaching duties by Chivas USA on Monday, two days after the Major League Soccer expansion team lost its eighth game in 10 to open the season. Rongen was reassigned as the team's sporting director and will oversee its development efforts, including scouting, clinics and player development.
The rumors were true.

Beckham in Big Apple Beckham reiterated he was happy at Real Madrid and plans to end his career there - "and that's the end of that." Despite that, asked if his playing career might eventually take him to the U.S., Beckham said: "Maybe, one day that could happen ... I love America."

David Beckham: I might move to the MLS The author of this article starts by saying: Personally, I think that the former Manchester United ace was simply being polite – no disrespect to the Americans but I doubt he will ever play in the States. Well said.

MLS a possibility for Beckham, later
n the foreword to the American edition of his 2004 autobiography, Beckham: Both Feet on the Ground, David Beckham writes, "The rest of the world says America isn't interested in soccer. I'm not so sure. Every time I visit, I see kids playing in parks and on school and college campuses everywhere. Baseball, Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball are the established team sports in the States, I know. I get the feeling, though that soccer's time is about to come."
Any grass is good for MetroStars "I'd always rather play on grass, even if it's not a nice, level surface," Eddie Gaven said. "I'd still rather play on grass than on turf." I wholeheartedly agree. I much prefer grass over turf, even though I have played on some far less-than-perfect grass fields.

Landon Donovan comfortable with his leadership role

Roundup in MLS for Week 9

No comments: