Saturday, November 06, 2004

News and Views

View from the Cheap Seats: Streakshow
To hear New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis explain it, you'd think playing goalkeeper in the playoffs and stopping penalty kicks in all-or-nothing matches is as easy as throwing dice.

"Well, they weren't the greatest PKs, and I think both [Ross] Paule and [Tony] Sanneh would admit that," Reis said the other day about the two penalties he saved last week against the Columbus Crew. "I just kind of read their body language and went with it."

Now, you and I know this is just after-the-fact bull, because you and I have tried to save penalty kicks before and failed miserably. Furthermore, we've tried to read body language before and ended up with a drink in our face.
I have yet to meet a goalkeeper who actually enjoys defending against PKs and whose ability to block PKs relies on more than mere luck. Read their body language? Pul-leaze! I have yet to meet a goalkeeper (myself included) who actually enjoys defending against PKs and who relies on more than luck to do so!

The Clean Sheet: Poll positions Good article.

Checking out the foliage

No comments: