Saturday, May 19, 2007

Weekly standings

As my memory serves, I typically post these at the beginning of the week, in order to accurately reflect the weekend's games. However, I am making up for lost time here.

1. New England
2. FC Dallas
3. KC
4. Colorado
4. NY
5. Chicago
6. Chivas USA
6. Columbus
6. Houston
7. Toronto
8. DCU
8. LA
8. Real Salt Lake

Based on mere numbers, if the Cup were to be played today, it would be between New England and FC Dallas.

Not having followed the season to date, I must say that the biggest surprise for me is the very low DCU ranking. Despite the fan that I'm hardly a DCU fan (I've always considered them to be a serious threat to my beloved Crew), I am surprised at how low they are; historically, they've been a pretty solid team.

The biggest disappointment is the Crew's poor 1-1-4 record. However, that is, in an odd way, comforting. Historically, Columbus has often begun the season strong, only to grow progressively worse as the season went on. Maybe this year the reverse will be true: despite a slow start, maybe they can pull things together as the season progresses, and end up the Cup winners. I can dream, can't I?

No comments: