Thursday, August 04, 2005

News and Views

MetroStars reach final agreement on soccer specific stadium And to think that Columbus started it all! (Crew Fan smiles with pride.)

The Clean Sheet: Pizza Hut delivers Big news in the world of MLS:
Somehow slipping under the soccer radar screen in a summer filled with high-profile matchups and new ownership is another landmark in the long-term growth of Major League Soccer: the opening of Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas. This is simply the most important match of the year in MLS.
Now for the next "important" thing:
I mentioned last week that I wasn't sure what we are going to nickname Pizza Hut Park, and I still am not convinced. I received quite the flood of e-mails with suggestions, but nothing has grabbed me. I know many will be calling it "The Oven" or even "The Big Slice," but I'm just not there yet.
Personally, I like "The Oven." Don't ask why; I just like it.
That a squad of national team-caliber players can beat a Premier League bottom-dweller in its preseason proves nothing about MLS as a league, so let's give those thoughts a rest. Much like the afore-mentioned friendlies, these games are just great entertainment. MLS has some big-time players and a selection of its best should spank a team like Fulham in its sleep.
Now if the All-Stars had been playing Manchester United, that might be a different story. Even then, it's still different than a "regular" MLS team playing a "regular" Premiership team. Just my two cents.

No comments: